teri polo tattoos UCLA Building Name Origins
William Coit Ackerman ’24 came to UCLA in 1920, a year after the Westwood campus opened. As a sophomore, he began coaching the tennis team and held the position until 1950, with his teams posting 10 Pacific Coast Conference titles, as well as an NCAA championship. He served as executive director of the Associated Students from 1933 to 1967. The student union building was named Ackerman Union in 1967, the year of his retirement.
Arthur Ashe Student Health Wellness Center
Arthur Ashe ’66 was as much an activist as he was a tennis champion. Open, and the first African American to be named No. 1 in the world.
Professor Paul D. Boyer has taught in UCLA’s Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry since 1963. He is also founding director of the UCLA Molecular Biology Institute. He achieved greatness even before coming to UCLA, however, by working on war research in 1943 at Stanford University and introducing kinetic, isotopic and chemical methods for investigating enzyme mechanisms at the University of Minnesota. In 1997, he received a Nobel Prize in Chemistry and came out of retirement to resume his research.
Lily Bess Campbell taught at UCLA from 1922 to 1950. She left her mark on the academic world through her work in Renaissance and Shakespearean literature. Her most famous works include the first modern edition of The Mirror of Magistrates, a collection of poems from the Tudor period in England.
William Andrews Clark Memorial Library
William Andrews Clark Jr. named the library for his father, William Andrews Clark Sr., who founded a mining empire in Montana. The elder Clark owned mills, smelters and mines almost everything he needed to produce copper. Senate from Montana; he was elected in 1901.
Collins Center for Executive Education
James A. Collins graduated from UCLA in 1950 and soon afterward opened his first restaurant, “Hamburger Handout.” Today, his company includes hundreds of Kentucky Fried Chicken and Sizzler restaurants. He has been a generous philanthropist, making large gifts to UCLA and serving in volunteer leadership positions across the campus.
Dr. Mitchel D. Covel enrolled as an undergraduate at UCLA in 1934 and eventually earned his medical degree at UC San Francisco. After World War II, he returned to Southern California and joined the clinical faculty of the UCLA School of Medicine in 1960. He and his wife, Susan, supported UCLA as philanthropists and volunteers.
Marion Davies Children’s Center
Marion Davies, born Marion Cecilia Douras, was an actress of the early 20th century. She starred in such films as Chin Chin, Miss 1917 and Cecilia of the Pink Roses. By the time her acting career was over, she had starred in 46 films. She donated $1.9 million in 1952 for the construction of the children’s center that bears her name. The project was an outgrowth of the Davies Foundation, a charitable, nonprofit corporation through which the star channeled efforts to fight childhood diseases.
A gift from longtime UCLA benefactors Leon ’42 and Toby Gold enabled the construction of Leon and Toby Gold Hall in the Anderson School of Management. Leslie Gonda escaped from the Komrom forced labor camp in Hungary. His wife, Susan, survived Auschwitz. As Holocaust survivors, the two founded the Leslie and Susan Gonda (Goldschmied) Foundation, purposed with creating facilities and endowments for vascular,
diabetes, genetic and neuroscientific research at major medical institutions and universities around the world. ’60 was a founder of Korn/Ferry International, the world’s largest executive recruiting firm, and served as its CEO for more than 20 years. In 1987 1988, he served as an ambassador to the United Nations. He is now the chairman and CEO of Korn Capital Group and Korn Tuttle Capital Group, as well as a member of the UCLA Anderson Board of Visitors. To honor his service and that of his wife, Carolbeth ’59, the Anderson School of Management’s convocation hall was named Korn Hall.
James E. ’37 was a student athlete in the highest sense. He held a Regents’ Scholarship, a job in the chemistry lab and won a bronze medal as a track runner in the 1936 Berlin Olympics. He earned his master’s degree in chemistry and physics at UCLA and continued his studies at Caltech, working under famed chemist Linus Pauling. patents. Longtime UCLA benefactors Gordon (who attended UCLA from 1927 to 1930) and Virginia MacDonald enabled the laboratory’s construction with their gift.
Lawrence Clark Powell joined the library staff in 1938 and served as UCLA’s second university librarian from 1944 to 1961. In 1959, he was the founding dean of the School of Library Science.
Reed Neurological Research Center
Clarence C. Reed was a Southern California physician whose gift of land, plus a matching grant of $1.37 million from the National Institutes of Health, provided construction funding for the center. A surgeon who received his medical degree from the University of Chicago in 1925, Reed also was a rancher with considerable cattle holdings in San Luis Obispo County.
David S. Saxon taught physics at UCLA, served as dean of physical sciences and later was appointed executive vice chancellor and provost of UCLA. He eventually was named president of the University of California. However, years before he became president or executive vice chancellor, Saxon was dismissed, along with 30 other UC faculty members, for refusing to sign a then required loyalty oath. After the Supreme Court invalidated the loyalty oath requirement, Saxon returned to UCLA as a faculty member.
Famed composer Arnold Schoenberg was a member of the UCLA music faculty from 1936 1944. He studied and gained fame in Europe before fleeing the Nazi regime in 1933. After teaching at the Malkin Conservatory in Boston, he came to Los Angeles, where he gave private lessons to film composers and arrangers. His complex compositions, using the 12 tone scale, earned him a place in the world’s musical literature.
Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior
Terry Semel has been a powerhouse in the business world, working for Yahoo! Inc. as chairman and CEO for six years and for Warner Bros. for 24 years. He currently sits on the board of directors for both Polo Ralph Lauren and the Guggenheim Museum. His wife, Jane, founded Ijane Inc., a nonprofit production company that addresses public health issues through entertainment. The couple donated $25 million to UCLA’s Neuropsychiatric Institute, which now bears their name.
Robert Gordon Sproul was president of the University of California from 1930 to 1958. As president, he acted swiftly when faced with administrative issues at UCLA and kept the university afloat. After Ernest Carroll Moore’s retirement as administrator in 1936, Sproul served as UCLA provost for two years while searching for Moore’s successor. With Provost/Vice President Clarence Dykstra’s unexpected death in 1950,
Sproul created an Interim Administrative Committee that led the university for three years. Sproul was said to have a brilliant memory and to have known thousands of people on the campus by name.